Tuesday, July 22, 2014

American Fork Canyon Death Defied or NOT (continued)




After getting locked out of the campground the night before, I decided to break one of my rules and camp in a wild camping area.  I had spent the day hiking and taking photographs and had found this grassy area where you could park a trailer.  I was pretty tired when I got back to the trailer so I just hopped into bed without really looking around.

When I woke up the next morning I was thrilled to find out I had camped in a place where ground squirrels had created a colony. They were all around me.  Hopping around, chatting with each other. I had a fun time taking photos of baby squirrels with their siblings and baby squirrels with their mama.  It was a thrill to watch them interact and I was able to get within a few yards of them.

please do not copy

please do not copy


I started to get my trailer ready to hitch up when I noticed that something was different.  I looked around and noticed that there was not a squirrel in sight.  All 100 or so of them had completely disappeared.  Then I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye.  I looked closer and realized that a goshawk had caught one of the squirrels I had just taken a photo of.  The photographer instinct kicked in and I got closer to watch the goshawk.

The mother squirrel by this time had gotten on her rock and started to do a chirping warning sound.  She was the only squirrel I could see and she was clearly warning the others that danger was nearby.  I circled the goshawk trying to get him/her in better light.  Goshawks are not seen too often, they are pretty elusive, so like seeing the squirrels earlier, it was awesome to see this bird up close.  I took a few pictures, then I realized the squirrel was still alive.

What to do now?  I stepped forward and the hawk  had enough of me a flew back into the trees.  The squirrel limped into the sagebrush.  I hope the little guy made it.  I would feel bad robbing a hawk of his breakfast if the squirrel didn't make it.
please do not copy

Nature is awesome!!

The difference between us and the squirrels?    Maybe not much.  We are playing, working, doing things when danger enters our space.  Sometimes it sneaks in as quiet as that hawk; sometimes it is very noisy.  If we listen, we can usually hear something or someone warning us of danger.

The difference?  We have a conscience.   We have choices to make.  We know that Heavenly Father loves us and that we can make things right.  We know that life is real and eternal.  If you don't know that, if you are confused about life's plan.  Pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment