Saturday, July 9, 2016

Hike in the Wasatch Mountain


My little town of
Willard Utah.  Way down below.  


Hi All.

I have been on many adventures since my Iceland trip, but just can't seem to find the time to catch up/  So I am starting with my last one and working back.  This will bug me because the date won't be right, but if I don't do this I will never get caught up.

Yesterday, I took a beautiful hike in the mountains behind my house.  There is a very rough dirt road that travels the back of the mountain and offers an incredible view from the top of Inspiration Point.  Unfortunately the gate was closed halfway up, to protect the mountain goat mating season.  LOL.  Did they just become shy?  The goats have been there for years and they have never closed the gate before.  But I took advantage of this and instead went walking.  Note to me:  Always take your water with you because your 5 minutes walks always turn into 3 1/2 hour hikes!

The wildflowers were exquisite.  In one square foot I saw 5 different kinds of wildflowers.  I saw service berries, elderberries, and thimbleberries.  Al of these are great eating.  The service berries were not quite ripe yet and the elderberries and thimble berries were still in bloom.  I usually dry some service berries and put them in pancakes and sometimes soup or stew.  About two weeks ago I noticed that some of the bushes in the Walmart parking lot were serviceberries so my son and I picked some.  You never know where wild food will show up!  The thimbleberries are a great trailside snack and elderberries make good jelly and you can also use the flowers by covering them with a batter and then deep frying them.  The flowers can also be used to make a fizzy drink by adding water and sugar and then letting it sit for a few weeks.  The one time I made it the kids loved it.   Apparently this is quite popular in the UK.  Of course, mine was the "virgin" recipe with no alcohol content.
Elderberry Bush


The wildflowers included several varieties of penstemon, baskets of gold, goat's rue, salsify, (edible) different species of buckwheat, cow parsnip, biscuit root, (edible) chickweed, (edible) wild strawberries (edible) wild geranium, lupine and many, many others.


The views are unmatched.
View looking to the North into Box Elder County.



Willard Peak the highest peak in Weber County, not Box Elder county.

This was a great hike and a super way to spend an early morning.  Because as Thoreau said in Walden
  “Morning brings back the heroic ages. There was something cosmical about it; a standing advertisement, till forbidden, of the everlasting vigor and fertility of the world. The morning, which is the most memorable season of the day, is the awakening hour. Then there is least somnolence in us; and for an hour, at least, some part of us awakes which slumbers all the rest of the day and night.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden



No comments:

Post a Comment